Here’s what happened..
We’d won an IKEA kitchen island on eBay – our kitchen is very lacking in storage and worksurfaces and this would help. I collected the unit from a lovely lady in Chelmsford. It was dismantled and looked to all be there, but on getting home there were a few pieces missing. She did offer to buy us things from B+Q to replace the missing bits, but it probably wouldn’t be until Sunday, so I worked out a cunning way to fix it. Yay me!
I had to purchase said things to fix the unit, so we had a trip into town to Wilkinsons to find the appropriate hardware. I also got some sandpaper and varnish to sand down and protect the top of the unit which was a bit grubby, the varnish looked fine, and had the colour I wanted on the tin. Great! We had a spot of lunch in town and headed home. As the sun was out I took the opportunity to sand down the worktop, and then apply the varnish, the varnish looked VERY dark, but I slapped it on, happily thinking it would dry lighter.
The light pine colour I wanted became more mahogany, it was VERY dark. On closer inspection of the tin I think it once had a sticker on with the ACTUAL colour, and the main colour on the tin was just a pretty picture. Fucking great.
The stuff was quick drying, so I let it dry, and sanded it down, hoping to see the original wood beneath.
No.. it wasn’t working, I was running out of sandpaper, and it just wasn’t going back to light wood at all.
Loz and I had a quick discussion, and we thought the best solution would be to get it varnished, and worry about it another day.
The varnish dried, and I put the top back on the unit, and this is what it looks like..
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.