I’m not going to lie, I don’t do much cooking, I do enjoy cooking immensely, but I have to have an empty kitchen, and it has to be done my way. I have to prepare everything first, tidy up a bit and then start cooking, Loz is very much a ‘prep as you go cook’. Her method is undoubtedly quicker – but I honestly can’t do it. I am trying to cook a bit more, and thought I’d document my endeavours on here, in a series of posts called ‘Kippeh Cooks’ first up is something I’ve made a few times now –
Beef and Guinness Stew
This is based on a Jamie Oliver Recipe from the fab ‘Ministry of Food‘ book, with a few changes.
Prep Time : 30 minutes – Cooking Time : 3 hours – Serves : 4
500g diced beef
2 Onions (Medium)
2 Sticks of Celery
1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Can / Bottle Guinness
Glug of Olive Oil
Tablespoon of Plain Flour
Salt / Pepper
Mixed Herbs (or a little Oregano or similar will do!)
Optional – Beef Oxo Cube.
1. Preheat the Oven to 200 degrees / Gas Mark 6
2. Roughly chop the onions, celery and carrots, don’t worry about making them too small or perfect, just roughly about the same size.
3. Put the Olive Oil in a Oven Proof pan and cook on the hob on a medium heat – chuck in the chopped onions, celery and carrots and good for 10 minutes or so.
4. Put the beef and flour in the pan, give it all a good stir. 5. Then put in the chopped tomatoes, and Guinness, stir it all together.
6. Add a bit of salt and pepper , and chuck in the mixed herbs and crumble in the Oxo cube.
7. Bring up the heat to let it boil, keep stirring, let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
8. Put on the lid of your pan and chuck it in the oven and let it cook for 3 hours – I do tend to take it out every 45 minutes for a stir.
You can serve it with whatever you fancy, I did a bit of mash yesterday, you can have it on it’s own, but it’d probably only serve 2-3 if you want a good sized portion! 🙂
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.