At the Old El Paso event I went to a few weeks ago at the Underground Cookery School, we got taught a recipe for a simple Chocolate Torte – it was pretty easy to make, so I thought when I had both of the Mossters we’d give it a go together.
So to make the Chocolate Torte you need the following ingredients –
300g Chocolate – Ideally 70%+ cocoa solids
225g Unsalted Butter (Plus a little more to grease the pan)
150g Caster Sugar
1 – Preheat the Oven to 180°C / Gas 4.
2 – Break up the chocolate and put in an bowl with the butter (it’s best to cube up the butter into smaller pieces) (N.B. It needs to be a bowl that can take being heated up in a pan of boiling water).
3 – Melt the chocolate and butter together over a pan of boiling water – set aside once this is done.
4 – Separate the eggs, putting the whites in one bowl and the yolks in another.
5 – Whisk the egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
6 – Grease up your cake tin and sprinkle with a little sugar to stop it from sticking – there’s probably enough for an 8″ diameter tin – we didn’t have one so put it in two tins closest to hand!
7 – Whisk up the yolks and sugar until thick and creamy.
8. Gently stir the chocolate / butter mix into the yolk / sugar mix.
9. Then it’s time to fold the chocolate / butter / yolk / sugar mix into the egg whites – it’s best to do this with a large stainless steel spoon – be gentle and take your time, don’t smash the air out of your lovely egg whites!
10. Pour your mixture into your cake tin(s)
11. Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes, check that its cooked properly by sticking in a skewer and it should come out clear – if it doesn’t — cook for a little longer!
12. Allow to cool for 5 mins and then remove from the tin. Then – EAT!
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.