This Mushroom Pie is AMAZING! It’s fantastic for veggies and packed full of flavour, carnivores will enjoy it too as it’s got a very meaty, thick texture. You could can probably chuck in some leeks, or perhaps some Quorn Fillets, I think it would also make a great base for a vegetarian stew. This serves two (I had it with some Horseradish Mash), scale up the recipe for more people.
Serves – 2
Prep / Cooking time – 10mins / 30mins
Splash of Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, Diced
5 Spring Onions, Chopped
8 Medium Mushrooms, Chopped
8 Button Mushrooms, Quartered
1 Medium Carrot, Diced
350ml of Vegetable Stock
4 tbsp Soy Sauce (Kikkoman ideally!)
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp Plain Flour
Splash of Water
1 Sheet Puff Pastry (if chilled, let sit on the side during prep)
1 Egg (for glazing)
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (Gas Mark 4)
2. Put the Olive Oil in a large pan on a moderate heat and fry the Mushrooms and Onions together until soft and lightly browned.
3. Add the Vegetable Stock and Carrots, bring the mixture to the boil and reduce the heat and allow to simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes until the carrots are soft.
4. Add the Soy Sauce and Balsamic Vinegar and give a good stir.
5. Mix the Flour and Water in a little bowl and make a smooth paste, add this to your filling mix, it requires a really good stir so you don’t get any pockets of flour.
6. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.
7. Turn off the heat and turn your attention to the pie dish, cut a ‘lid’ for your pie in your rolled out pastry sheet – allow 1cm ish excess around it.
8. Cut a long 1cm strip of pastry – this will form a rim around the pie dish, so ensure you have enough!
9. Brush the egg around the rim of the pie dish and then press down your pastry strip around the rim.
10. Spoon your pie filling into the dish, roughly until the filling reaches the pastry rim.
11. Glaze the top of the pie with egg, and cut a few strips in the top so the steam can escape during cooking.
12. Place the lid on top of the pasty rim, using your thumb, move around the edges pressing the pastry lid onto the rim.
13. Put your finished pie in the oven and cook for approx. 25-30 minutes, you should have a beautiful, golden puffed up top.
14. Take out of the oven and serve – it’s probably best to cut off the top and spoon the mixture onto the plate, and then place to the top, on top!
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.