The nice folks at Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar challenged me to come up with a new recipe to use their wonderful cheese (seriously – it’s AMAZING!). So with a bit of help from Miss A, the Baked Pancakes stuffed with Cheese and Mushroom were born! It’s a devilishly simple dish that shows that pancakes CAN be savoury, and enjoyed more than once a year! If your pancakes always turn out Crêpe (BOOM!), you could always use Tortillas as a little twist!
Also, a fantastic tip is to warm the milk for the cheese sauce first – it should help lessen lumps.
Anyway – here’s the recipe!
Serves – 2
Prep / Cooking time – 35mins / 15mins
75g Plain Flour
1 Large Egg
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp Olive Oil
75g Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar
285ml milk – warmed
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp butter
Salt and Pepper
40g Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar
400g Mushrooms – roughly chopped
½ Leek – finely chopped
½ tsp Dried Thyme
50g Baby Spinach – roughly chopped
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Beat the milk and egg together and then mix with the flour and salt until a smooth batter.
2. Add 1 tbsp of oil, mix and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and make 4 pancakes.
1. Preheat your oven at 180° (Gas Mark 4)
2. Melt the butter, stir in the flour and when combined slowly add the warm milk.
3. Stir over the heat continuously until it thickens.
4. Gently season and add the Barber’s Cheddar.
1. Heat the oil and then fry the mushrooms until soft.
2. Add the leeks and thyme and fry for a further minute
3. Add the spinach and allow to wilt, season to taste.
4. Place a line of cheese in the middle of each pancake.
5. Top with the mushroom mix and fold the pancake over the top.
6. Place the pancakes in an ovenproof dish with the join at the bottom and pour the sauce over the top.
7. Bake in the oven at 180° (Gas Mark 4) for 15 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
Serve with a green salad.
If you’re looking for some further cheesy recipes – take a look at the Barbers Recipe Pages
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.