A guilty pleasure I had before I became a vegetarian was a Sausage and Egg McMuffin – especially after a heavy night! It’s was never really something you could recreate at home, as ‘sausage patties’ aren’t readily available. Thankfully though, the wizards at Quorn have created meat free ‘Sausage Patties’ meaning it’s possible to have a Vegetarian Sausage and Egg McMuffin.
A healthier option
Not only is a Vegetarian Sausage and Egg McMuffin lower in Saturated fats compared to the ‘original’, each one has fewer calories too. If you picked up a standard Sausage and Egg McMuffin, you’d be consuming 430 Calories – a Vegetarian Sausage and Egg McMuffin is around 320 Calories. It’s not the healthiest of breakfasts, but there’s over 100 fewer calories!
Obviously the eggs in any egg based McMuffin are perfectly round, and to achieve this they are cooked in moulds. So you really need something like this to achieve perfectly round eggs.
Serves – 2
Prep / Cooking time – 2mins / 8mins
Splash of Oil
2 English Muffins
2 Quorn Sausage Patties
2 Medium Eggs
2 ‘slices’ of Processed Cheese
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper
1. Heat up the oil in a large frying pan.
2. When the pan is hot, crack the eggs into the mould, and turn down the heat.
3. As the eggs cook, start cooking the Sausage Patties in the same pan, they need around 7 minutes in total.
4. Keep an eye on the eggs, McDonalds serve them cooked with the yolks overcooked and not at all runny (as I like them!)
5. Cut the muffins in half and toast them on a low heat.
6. Remove the moulds from the pan, if you want the yokes solid, gently flip the ‘egg burger’ over to give them a bit of heat.
7. Once everything is cooked through, assemble the muffin – cheese, sausage pattie and egg burger in the middle.