Recipe – Caramelised Onion, Cheese and Potato Puff Pie
This is Caramelised Onion, Cheese and Potato Puff Pie a fantastic, hearty dish. Best served with something light, like a salad and a spoonful of chutney. The filling could probably fill 3 pies – if you want to make a third, you’ll need an extra sheet of puff pastry. Lancashire Cheese works well, however if you can’t get hold of it, a good, strong Cheddar will work well. You’ll need a deep, small Pie Dish. A sprung form one would be ideal, however I have these.
Serves – 2
Prep / Cooking time – 50mins / 35mins
Caramelised Onion, Cheese and Potato Puff Pie Ingredients
Splash of Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
1 Large Onion – Sliced
2 Sheets of Puff Pastry
100g finely grated Italian hard cheese – (Parmesan if you’re not a veggie!)
250g grated Lancashire cheese
10g Chives – Finely Chopped
1 egg (for glazing)
1. Warm a few glugs of oil in a large pan, keep the temperature low.
2. Add the onion, give it a good mix with the oil – then let it slowly brown. You’re wanting to caramelise the onion – NOT fry it. Don’t keep stirring it – just let the heat slowly caramelise the sugars in the onion.
3. As the onion browns, chuck in a splash of Balsamic Vinegar and mix it. Stir the onion every few minutes so it doesn’t catch. The onions should be soft and sweet after about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the heat and set it to the side.
4. Boil your potatoes for 25-30 minutes, drain and mash.
5. Mix the butter into the mash until smooth.
6. Add the cheeses and chive into the mash mixture.
7. Fold in the Caramelised onion. Allow the mixture to cool.
8. Open the sheet of puff pastry, cut down leaving enough for the lid of the pie (around 1/3 in)
9. Push the 2/3 of the pastry sheet into your greased pie tin. Make sure it goes right to the edges.
10. Fill the pie with the Caramelised Onion, Cheese and Potato mixture. Push the mixture tightly in.
11. Place the 1/3 of the pastry sheet on top and squish down around the rim of the pie.
12. Take a sharp knife and trim the excess pastry, and use your thumb to seal around the edge.
13. Egg wash the top of the pie, chill the pie for 20 minutes, and give it another egg wash.
14. Put the Caramelised Onion, Cheese and Potato Pies in the oven at 200° Degrees / Gas Mark 6 for around 25-30 Minutes.
15. Take the pies out of the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.