So, it seems like it's not just Pirates and Princesses happening at Alton Towers Resort this month. The Wicker Man at Alton Towers Resort has appeared in the first official photos released by the Staffordshire park.
My god - it's magnificent - isn't it?
Alton Towers Resort has released first-look images of their latest thrill attraction Wicker Man. The first wooden rollercoaster to be built in the UK for 21 years with the unique thrill of fire. The dramatic images reveal a spectacular six-story structure. On one side an impressive human face and on the other a menacing ram's head. The structure bursts into flames as the train races through its chest! Wow!
There have been reports of chanting and beating drums heard on the Park's perimeter. Which makes sense now as before boarding Wicker Man, riders will embark on a journey into the world of the Beornen. Who are a secret community living in the woods around Alton. Lured in by chanting, rhythmic sounds and unseen eyes watching them, guests will 'be chosen' to take part in the cinematic 'pre-show' before braving the ride.
Alongside the new images of Wicker Man at Alton Towers in all its glory, further details about the ride have emerged -
- The height of the Wicker Man structure is 17.55m (57.57ft)
- Over 40,000 tonnes of soil has been excavated to build the new attraction
- Track spans 2,000ft and is made from naturally treated timber, hand-carved specifically for the project
- Alton Towers Resort has invested £16 million into the creation of Wicker Man which has been in development for the last four years
- Wicker Man will open to the public this Spring
- Every ride will house 2 trains, each made up of 6 wooden carriages carrying 12 passengers (24 passengers per ride)
The last point is exciting - it sounds like here will be two trains on the ride circuit at once. Timed correctly it will look incredible!
"Wicker Man is Alton Towers’ most ambitious project to date and we’re really excited to finally reveal our newest thrill attraction to the world. We’ve spent four years creating an experience that is truly spectacular by investing in the latest technologies which combine wood, fire and special effects to give riders the genuine feeling that they will be racing though flames. We can’t wait for everyone to experience Wicker Man when the park opens this Spring."
- Francis Jackson, Operations Director at Alton Towers Resort
Fingers crossed I'll be one of the first people to ride it before the public opening. Keep an eye here and across social for more news! There will also be further updates on the ride on the official page
What do you think of the Wicker Man at Alton Towers? Drop a comment..